Skip to main content


A representation of Mushrooms

Fungi are a fascinating life form that belongs neither to plants nor to animals. They consist of a network of filaments that grow in the soil or in other substrates. Some mushrooms form fruiting bodies, which we know as fungi or mushrooms. These can be edible, poisonous or even hallucinogenic. But what effect do mushrooms have on dogs? And what role do they play in the health and behavior of your four-legged friend? In this article, you can find out more about mushrooms in relation to dogs and what you should be aware of.

Mushrooms as food for dogs

Some dogs have a preference for mushrooms and like to nibble on them. This can be dangerous, as not all mushrooms are safe for dogs. Some types of mushrooms can cause severe poisoning, which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions or even death. You should therefore always keep a close eye on your dog when he is out and about in the forest or meadow. If you discover a mushroom in his mouth, try to remove it immediately and make a note of its characteristics. If in doubt, visit a vet and bring a mushroom sample with you.

But not all fungi are harmful to dogs. There are also some types of mushrooms that can have positive effects on a dog's health and immune system. These include shiitake, maitake and reishi, for example. These mushrooms contain valuable ingredients such as polysaccharides, antioxidants or beta-glucans, which can strengthen the immune system and reduce inflammation. They can also aid digestion and lower cholesterol levels. However, if you want to give your dog mushrooms as a food supplement, you should always stick to the recommended dosage and only use high-quality products.

Mushrooms as toys for dogs

In addition to food, mushrooms can also be used as toys for dogs. Some dogs find it exciting to search for, retrieve or destroy mushrooms. This can be a fun pastime as long as they are harmless mushrooms. However, you should make sure that your dog does not swallow too many pieces of mushroom or injure himself on sharp edges. You should also make sure that your dog does not destroy or take any protected or rare mushroom species.

Mushrooms as a drug for dogs

A special case are the so-called magic mushrooms. These mushrooms contain psychoactive substances such as psilocybin or psilocin, which can cause hallucinations and altered states of consciousness in humans. But how do these mushrooms affect dogs? And is it even possible for a dog to eat a magic mushroom?

The answer is: yes, it is possible, but very unlikely. Most dogs have no sense of taste for bitter or sour substances and therefore instinctively avoid magic mushrooms. In addition, magic mushrooms are usually very small and inconspicuous and are hardly noticed by dogs. If a dog does eat a magic mushroom, it can show similar symptoms to humans: It may become restless, tremble, pant or behave strangely. In rare cases, seizures or breathing difficulties may also occur. In this case, you should see a vet immediately and tell them what has happened.


Learn even more about Mushrooms

If you notice any signs of hypersensitivity or poisoning in your dog, you should see your vet immediately. We are not a substitute for a vet, but we try to be as accurate as possible. Every dog reacts differently and we recommend you get a second opinion or consult your vet if in doubt.

Stay healthy and take good care of your four-legged friend!😊