Skip to main content

Currant

(Redirected from Common bilberry)

There are many plants in nature that attract attention not only because of their beauty or their benefits for humans, but also because of their effects on animals. The bog bilberry, also known by scientific names that can vary depending on the species, is one of those plants that cause both fascination and concern among pet owners. This article takes an in-depth look at bilberry, its properties and the potential benefits and risks it poses to dogs.

What is the bilberry?

The bog bilberry belongs to a genus of plants that can be found in various parts of the world. Often found in forests or fields, these plants are characterized by their eye-catching berries. Depending on the region and species, these berries can be consumed by animals and sometimes also by humans, and in the past they were often used in traditional healing methods. The term "intoxicating berry" already indicates that the consumption of these berries can lead to intoxicating or toxic effects.

Properties and ingredients

The specific properties and constituents of the bilberry can vary greatly depending on the type and location of the plant. In general, however, they contain a number of active substances that can cause psychoactive or toxic reactions. These substances can affect the nervous system and lead to symptoms of poisoning in animals, including dogs.

Benefits of the bilberry

In traditional medicine, certain types of raisin berries were valued for their medicinal properties. For example, they were used to relieve pain or as a sedative. However, there are hardly any safe uses for dogs that are without risk of toxicity. Therefore, supposed "benefits" should be viewed with extreme caution.

Risks and dangers for dogs

The potential risks of intoxicating berries for dogs should be taken seriously. The toxic effects can vary, depending on the amount consumed and the specific type of berry.

Symptoms of poisoning

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Excessive salivation
  • Lethargy or hyperactivity
  • Cramps or tremors
  • Respiratory problems

In severe cases, these symptoms can lead to long-term health damage or even death. It is therefore of the utmost importance to seek veterinary help immediately if consumption is suspected.

Precautionary measures

Dog owners should ensure that their dogs do not have access to areas where bog bilberries grow. When walking in the countryside, it is advisable to keep the dog on a lead and keep a close eye on the path to ensure that nothing dangerous is eaten.

While the bog bilberry has been considered a beneficial plant in certain cultural and historical contexts, for dogs the risks far outweigh the potential benefits. The toxicity of the berries makes them a serious threat to our four-legged friend's health. As a responsible dog owner, it is important to be aware of the dangers posed by certain plants and take appropriate precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of our pet. In a world full of natural beauty and diversity, it is up to us to protect our dogs from the hidden dangers that lurk within it.


Learn even more about Common bilberry

If you notice any signs of hypersensitivity or poisoning in your dog, you should see your vet immediately. We are not a substitute for a vet, but we try to be as accurate as possible. Every dog reacts differently and we recommend you get a second opinion or consult your vet if in doubt.

Stay healthy and take good care of your four-legged friend!😊